Re: [css3-text] script-specific functionality

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:47:12 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:38 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>> I suggest we remove the 'text-outline' property -- 'text-shadow'
>>> should cover it.
>>
>> I don't have answer to this question, sorry again -- fantasai?
>
> I have no problem with that. It was even marked as a suggestion in the
> draft already. ;)

I'd disagree with this - text-shadow isn't an adequate replacement for
a real outline/stroke.  Shadows do a half-job, but you need 4 or 8
shadows in your code to do it, and they lose detail in a way that's
pretty bad for some fonts.

Brad had a really good diagram showing the distinction between shadow
and outline, and just how much better a real outline looks in some
situations.

~TJ