Re: [css3-text][css3-fonts] 'text-transform' for Accents

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 13:19:15 -0400
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, www-style@w3.org
2011/3/18 John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>:
> First of all, I'll note that I'm not familiar with any orthography in which
> the presence of accent marks on uppercase letters is truly optional. There
> was a myth going about for some time that this was the case with French, but
> that was due to the mechanical limitations of the typewriter, and if one
> consulted quality French publishing, the recommendations of the Imprimerie
> nationale, or simply people's handwriting, the marks were always present on
> uppercase letters.

This has been written in lots of places including the Academie’s
official web page. But I won’t call it a myth unless you still call it
a myth when real native speakers did it and still do it. That is, I
have seen native speakers leave them out when writing. As recent as a
few months ago.

Maybe a poor orthographic practice, but not a “myth”.
--
cheers,
-ambrose

my thoughts on HTML5: http://goo.gl/vhv5F + http://goo.gl/leonq