Re: [css3-text] script-specific functionality

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 21:59:46 -0700
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 4/7/11 8:51 PM, "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

>> About the 'hanging-puctuation' property:
>>
>>  - it seems that an ending quote cannot hang?
>
> Correct. See the picture at Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_punctuation
> If you have use case for an ending quote to hang, I'd be happy to know.

This may be the case for CJK, but in Roman type hanging punctuation can
include quote marks and other punctuation at the ends of lines. The spec at
the moment says that "at most one punctuation character may hang," but there
are many examples of a quote ending in a period or comma where both period
and end quote are hung outside the right edge.

Thanks,

Alan