Re: [css3-text] script-specific functionality (microtypography)

On 4/7/11 1:58 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

> Also sprach Alan Stearns:
>

>> I consider the methods outlined in the wikipedia article to be fine­tuning
>> controls one can use only *after* the basics (hyphenation, word­ and
>> letter­spacing) are dialed in. The article misquotes Robert Bringhurst,
>> inflating his assessment of the importance of glyph scaling in good
>> justification. The currently­proposed controls in the draft are the most
>> important, so for me the question is how far down the list of possible
>> justification controls do we want to go at this time?
>
> What knobs do you offer in InDesign?

InDesign has min/max/desired word– and letter–spacing, as well as
min/max/desired glyph scaling.

For hyphenation, in addition to what is currently in CSS Text there's a flag
that will turn off hyphenation for capitalized words, and there are separate
flags for not hyphenating a last line versus hyphenating over a boundary.
I'm not sure whether hyphenate-limit-last:column prohibits or allows
breaking the last line of an element, but InDesign allows either choice.
There is also a control that lets you emphasize better spacing or fewer
hyphens, but it's meant to set the parameters of the paragraph composer.

As far as what's on the microtypography page, InDesign has kerning and
tracking controls, glyph scaling (as above), widow and orphan controls
(though not done through changing line spacing), and hanging punctuation
(actually a flag that sets an optical margin with all glyphs).

Thanks,

Alan