RE: [css3-text] Allow control of text-decoration width

> Yeah, I've pretty much concluded that CSS underlining is a
> basket case from the perspective of WYSIWYG.  There's
> just no way to square it with what users will expect without
> rewriting how it works, which is unlikely to be worth the effort.
> I've just given up on getting tricky cases right for WYSIWYG
> underline/line-through.  Maybe we can think about it at some future date.

It depends on how you define "what users will expect". Try MS Word and you will find it behaves exactly what I said; i.e., the same way CSS behaves. That is one way to define "what users will expect".

What you said is another way. Adobe In Design is closer to your model. In Design does not align underlines for different sizes, it draws separate underlines to each at different position and thickness, and therefore cancelling one underline does not affect other parts.

I don't argue which is "right", but I like Word model better, and I'm glad that CSS behaves that way. Otherwise you can't draw single consistent underline across different size/fonts. I hope you understand this benefit and trade-off if you compare the differences between Word and In Design.

Regards,
Koji