Re: [css3-ruby] block elements inside <ruby> and wrapping inside <rb>.

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 14:30:09 -0400
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: "塩澤 元 (Shiozawa, Hajime)" <hajime.shiozawa@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 4/3/11 1:53 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> For the first issue (block elements inside ruby base text), I think neither IE nor WebKit is correct. There should be anonymous inline-level box for ruby base if I understand the spec correctly, and ruby text should be placed over the box. I'm not sure if there's any use case to put block elements inside ruby base though.

That doesn't answer the question.  What should a UA do if the author
does put a block-level element inside ruby text?

For what it's worth, the ruby spec still needs to define behavior in
various cases that "don't have use cases" or "don't make sense".  In the
meantime, we're implementing things in Gecko in whatever way is simplest
in our current architecture; we're certainly not ending up interoperable
with IE and WebKit (which are not interoperable with each other either).

-Boris