[css3-animations] AnimationEvent.elapsedTime "not affected" by animation-delay?

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:01:42 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-animations/#Events-AnimationEvent says:
  # Note that this value is not affected by the value of
  # animation-delay.

That doesn't really help me understand which way to handle
animation-delay.   Does it mean that the elapsed time counts
starting from the start of the delay, or starting from the end of
the delay?  I'm guessing it means from the end of the delay (i.e.,
when the first iteration began).

(If that's the case, then what happens when the delay is negative?
No animationstart event at all, animationstart event with 0
elapsedTime, or animationstart event with positive elapsedTime?)

-David