Re: [CSS21] WD 5.12.1, 5.12.2: first-line and first-letter generally

On 03/13/2011 01:23 PM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 06:32:13PM +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your feedback. Your proposal is accepted. The CSS2.1 specification
>> will be updated to note the exact behavior :first-letter and :first-line is not
>> defined, and may be defined in a future version.
>
> The proposal was not to add a note while leaving the existing text (that some
> implementors have considered to be unambiguously demanding one behaviour while
> other implementors have considered to be unambiguously demanding another
> behaviour), but to remove :first-letter and :first-line from CSS2.1,
> in the same way as with run-in (if I correctly understand the fate of run-in).

:first-line and :first-letter are defined in CSS1 and CSS3. Removing them
from CSS2.1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense and would be confusing to
anyone outside the WG environment that happens to be referencing the CSS2.1
spec. While the exact model is not unambiguously defined, there is a usable
subset of functionality that is both widely and interoperably implemented.
And since they remain defined in CSS1 and Selectors Level 3, dropping them
from CSS2.1 wouldn't actually gain us anything anyway.

~fantasai