Re: [css3-text] fullwidth punctuation kerning

  On 9/28/2010 9:52 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> To me it seems like you are trying to justify solving the (very real) problem
> of kerning / interaction across font boundaries at the CSS level.

Rather than kerning, think of it as the regulation of spacing in the
line, much like one adjusts the widths of the spaces for justification
in western typography. This is way beyond the ability of the fonts. For
example, one needs to regulate the aki/space around ruby, tcy, warichu.
Doing the work in the font would mean that fonts would have to know
about all those objects.

There is also the consideration that all those controls need to be
placed primarily in the hands of the document designer, not in the hands
of the font designer. At best, a font designer could provide an opinion
about *some* aspects. For example, in western typography, the font
designer could give some guidance on good min/max width of spaces. In
the case of Japanese typography, the tradition is to use values that are
not font-dependent.

Eric.