Re: [css3 fonts] font-specific features

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:30:21 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: Tal Leming <tal@typesupply.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:15 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Tal Leming wrote:
>> If so, how does the author specify a particular index from a GSUB
>> Lookup Type 3 for a styleset?
>
> If by this you mean some form of stylistic set that allows multiple
> values per feature tag (e.g. ss04=7) then that's not supported by the
> current proposal, an author would need to use the low-level
> font-feature-settings property.  I think this is probably more
> relevant to fonts with character variants that map all variants for a
> given character to a common cvNN feature tag (e.g. all variants of
> alpha map to cv01).

There are a number of OpenType layout features that do take an
explicit index argument to pick a specific glyph out[put from several
options. Stylistic sets ('ssXX') are not one of them, but stylistic
alternates ('salt') and even swashes ('swsh') are among the ones that
do.

I'm not necessarily arguing for the importance of supporting such
things, but they would at least be "nice to have."

Cheers,

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.
—Abraham Lincoln