Re: The elements to which unicode-bidi:isolate applies

> The spec says
>
>  # User agents that support bidirectional text must apply the Unicode
>  # bidirectional algorithm to every sequence of inline boxes
>  # uninterrupted by a forced (bidi class B) line break or block boundary.
>  # This sequence forms the "paragraph" unit in the bidirectional
algorithm.

> In what way is this not sufficient to address your concerns?

Taken by itself, it is perfectly explicit and sufficient.

The problem is that the unicode-bidi:isolate spec is also perfectly explicit
and sufficient, and, it seems to me, conflicts with the above:

for the purpose of bidi resolution in its containing
paragraph (if any), the [unicode-bidi:isolate] element itself is treated as
if it were an
Object Replacement Character (U+FFFC).

When both specs apply, I think it should be either implicitly obvious or
explicitly stated which one wins. I do not think it is implicitly obvious,
so I would like to state it explicitly.

Once we are at it, it is nice to mention the other cases
where unicode-bidi:isolate has no effect, like the first two you mention,
although this fact is implicitly obvious from the specs, just for the
convenience of the reader (not as a normative definition), but I would not
have brought those cases up if it were not for (what I think are) the
ambiguous ones.

Aharon