Re: [CSS21] 11.1.2: 'clip': various issues

Peter Moulder wrote:
[snip]
> Issue 2: In the case of RTL, does a positive "offset" move to the right or to
> the left?  On one hand, the word "offset" would usually mean that positive
> increases the x coordinate, i.e. moves to the right, while on the other hand
> I'd have thought that the intention would rather be such that <left> and
> <right> values are usually non-negative.

Boxes offset to the left and right are either visible or hidden in
RTL. What changes is the direction of overflow and what side (left or
right) that a viewport can be scrolled. Boxes with offset values that
are auto (the computed value is right: auto) are positioned to the
right in RTL.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/bidi/visible-overflow-containing-block-ltr-ap-left.htm>

I believe Gecko follows the spec and handles all 8 test case
correctly. IE8 and IE9 likewise (apart from a bug not relating to
offset and overflow). Opera 10.62 has improved vastly on Opera 10.50
and now follows more closely Gecko's behavior. Safari 4 is the same as
Safari 5.

Clip must work back to front in RTL, just like overflow, float and
offset does now.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/