Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 10.3.x] Testcases where percentage intrinsic width cannot be resolved

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:24:55 -0400
To: www-style@gtalbot.org
CC: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/24/10 2:43 AM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Right now, Chrome 6.0.472.62 render this testcase differently from Firefox
> 3.6.10 and from Opera 10.62. I do not see anything in the spec which can
> decisively state which rendering is correct. I even think that such
> testcase should be removed as it could be rendered both ways (depending on
> algorithm chosen). Am I wrong?

I believe the spec explicitly states that the rendering of this testcase
is undefined....  (section 10.2 last paragraph under <percentage>, plus
the complete lack of any useful definition of shrink-to-fit sizing).
It's an interop problem that the renderings differ, of course.

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/block-replaced-width-007.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/float-replaced-width-012.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/absolute-replaced-width-007.htm

Same thing.

> Spec quotes:

The HTML4 spec is irrelevant here.  Note that the percentage here is NOT
a percentage intrinsic width.  It's just a percentage specified width.
And section 10.2 says that even the computed value of width (forget the
used value) is undefined in this case...

-Boris