Re: :invalid

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:10:16 -0400
To: Ryan Seddon <seddon.ryan@gmail.com>
CC: Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On 9/24/10 12:46 AM, Ryan Seddon wrote:
> At the moment a field is invalid straight away if it has the required
> attribute.
> My idea was to have a third state that a required field can be
> indeterminate.
> The same state that radio and checkbox inputs have [2]. Basically a field
> technically is neither valid nor invalid until it has a value to work with.

Man, I hate divergent threads....  Since the cross-post was sent
completely separately to both lists, the two partsof the discussion are
missing each other.

On whatwg, I suggested a psuedo-class that matches if the current value
is the same as the default value as a possible way of addressing this
problem.  Note that this is not the same as testing for "empty value"
unless the default is empty, though.