From: Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:16:25 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
(Cross-posting this message which has been originatively sent to the
whatwg mailing list considering it might be relevant for the www-style

The current whatwg HTML5 specification of :invalid is pretty simple: it
matches all invalid elements which are candidate for constraint
validation [1].

Today, Gecko betas, Presto and Webkit support :invalid (I didn't check
for IE). Unfortunately, :invalid is far from being perfect and most
UI/UX guys would tell you that the current :invalid behavior is really
bad. For example, having the invalid style applying as soon as you load
the page (ie. for <input required>) is not a good thing. There are few
UX rules like that that :invalid currently breaks.

So, to improve the user experience while using web forms we would like
to fix that. However, we are wondering if :invalid (and :valid?)
specifications should be updated to take UX considerations or if a new
pseudo-class should be created. Does anyone has an opinion about that?