Re: "Line" pseudo-element required to control indentation of pre-formatted text?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 02:47:29 -0700
To: Rob Crowther <robertc@boogdesign.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
On 09/21/2010 11:44 AM, Rob Crowther wrote:
> On 21/09/10 16:09, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>
>> Since the usefulness seems to be pretty much limited to code wrapping,
>
> Not just code wrapping, here's another SO question:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3096916/
>
> The poster wanted to add padding to extend the background at each
> wrapped line end, yet keeping the ragged edge, something like:
>
> span:each-line { padding-right: 1em; }

There was a proposal in earlier css3-background drafts for control
over box breaks:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-css3-background-20080910/#the-border-break
That would probably handle this case. That capability was simplified out
in the latest version. Perhaps it would be a good idea to add it back.

I'll file it as an idea for the next level. :)

~fantasai