Re: [CSSOM] Interaction of getBoundingClientRect/getClientRects with transforms

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 14:21:37 -0400
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/21/10 2:17 PM, Simon Fraser wrote:
> I agree. I'd expect one of two behaviors for rotated inline elements. The first would be "slab" rotation, where all parts of the element are rotated on a plane (with some center point that we'd specify, probably the center of the bounding box of the parts of the span). The second would be that the rotation is applied per line, somehow.

Both of these really do look pretty weird with bidi text (for example,
it's pretty easy to end up with a situation where the boxes on a line are:

   XXXX YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY XXXX

where the Xs belong to one span and the Ys to another.  When applying a
transform to the X span, things would look pretty odd.

Maybe that's just a cost of supporting both bidi reordering across
inline element boundaries and sufficiently rich styling of inline
elements.  I guess borders look pretty weird too, in that situation.

-Boris