Re: [CSS21] Clarifications to run-in

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 12:55:01 -0400
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
CC: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/21/10 12:51 PM, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
> For what it's worth, in Opera 10.62 a display:run-in with a
> display:table-row child doesn't run in. (Also, given a table-row with a
> display:inline parent, the table-row gets an anonymous inline-table box,
> like in Gecko.) IE8 appears to do the same.

Right.  This was discussed on this list at length, and the agreed-on
behavior was that internal table kids of a run-in do not inhibit running
in, and that the kind of wrapper table box that's generated depends on
whether the run-in runs in (inline-table if it runs in, table otherwise).

> I think the specified behavior is ambiguous.
>
> <!doctype html>
> <title>table-row inside run-in</title>
> run-in
>
> According to 17.2.1, whether the table-row box gets put inside an
> inline-table box or a regular table box depends on whether its "parent
> is an 'inline' box". Conversely, whether or not the outer span acts as
> display:block depends on whether the table-row element "generates an
> in-flow block-level box".

You're reading outdated run-in text.  Please read the current editor's
draft instead of the published draft.  There is no ambiguity in the
editor's draft.

-Boris