Re: margin:before(1em) -- functional option for logical values

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:13:48 +1000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 06:49:35PM +0000, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:

> *         margin(before):1em;
>
> *         margin[before]:1em;
>
> These would have exactly same issues listed above, but different for parsing,
> and may (or may not) be more intuitive to use.

I don't think that the above characterization is clear enough about
the advantage concerning the noted problem that in

>    blockquote {
>        margin: before(1em);
>        margin: after(1em);
>        margin: start(2em);
>        margin: end(2em);
>    }
>
> all settings for 'margin' are to be applied, not just the last one.

So the `margin(before): 1em' and `margin[before]: 1em' variants do seem to have
an advantage in avoiding author confusion about either the behaviour here or
conversely creating confusion about how shorthand properties usually behave.

(I'm just drawing more attention to one advantage here, not expressing a
preference.)

pjrm.