Re: [CSS21] Clarifications to run-in

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:49:34 +1000
To: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 06:08:57PM -0700, fantasai wrote:

> s/and is/and generates/ since we're talking about elements, not boxes.

One possible issue with the "generates an X box" phrasing is that
it isn't completely clear what the set of boxes generated by an element is:
the text is clear and explicit about some boxes being generated by E, but
isn't clear about whether any other boxes are considered "generated by" E:
for example, descendent boxes, or anonymous boxes that are generated because
of E; or conceivably even the boxes corresponding to the "inline elements of
zero width and height" that are the representations of out-of-flow elements
for purposes of anonymous table object creation.

This is also relevant to the editors' draft version of section 17.2.1
(anonymous table objects), which assumes the existence of table-row etc. boxes,
but there's no text to say that an element with display:table-row generates
a single, table-row, box.  (The closest I'm aware of is a sentence in
section 17.5, "Internal table elements generate rectangular boxes with content
and borders", but there's no definition of what an internal table element is,
and no specific text about what box(es) each element generates.)

I suggest changing visuren.html#propdef-display to specify the set of boxes
that each element generates.

pjrm.