Re: Extend use of namespaces

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:23:09 +0200, Paul Duffin <pduffin@volantis.com>
wrote:
> So HTML + MathML + SVG is a theory, what about XHTML 2 + XForms.

XHTML2 is dead (http://www.w3.org/News/2009#entry-6601). XForms is not
supported by browsers and won't be.

> If namespaces are so bad then how come they have been used in just about
> every single XML based specification that the W3C have created, from
> XHTML 2 to XBL, from XSL to XQuery. Most of those specifications would
> be very very different and far less elegant without namespaces.

Most of those specifications have no significant deployment on the web
either (or have been abandoned). The latest proposal for XBL is XBL as
extension on top of HTML, not as a separate language.

> Is the process described in
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/prefix-or-posthack/ going to be
> followed or not?
>
> If not then how is the problem going to be resolved without discussion.

There has been discussion (also at the latest F2F) and we do not think
changing the status quo is worth at this point. See the arguments from
implementors in the thread I pointed out in particular.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/