Re: [cssom] Directions for better OM expansions

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/17/10, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oh man, yes.  It's quite common, actually.  I've written a lot of
>> jQuery code where I explicitly grab a group of related elements by
>> selector and twiddle their @style (this is trivial in jQuery, since
>> the .css() function doesn't care whether it's being applied to a
>> single element or a collection).  Being able to do this on the
>> stylesheet level where it belongs so I don't end up accidentally
>> clobbering existing @style values would be nice.
>>

> More than one way to skin a cat. That particular strategy is a
> well-known antipattern at this point. Incredible that jQuery is still
> being used at this point for anything, though I see jQuery users
> employing that pattern a lot.

Different strokes, I guess.  (Though jQuery is still the single most
popular js library, I believe.)

> Much simpler to add a class token to a common ancestor and let the
> cascade take place. Example linked from the c.l.js FAQ code guidelines
> doc.

That doesn't address the case I care about, where you're changing a
style dynamically.  Your approach is doable for swapping between sets
of predefined styles, but it's useless for when you don't know the
desired styles beforehand.

>>> In fact, most of these page author use
>>> cases are pretty vague. It would help to get more concrete, for instance
>>> "I
>>> want to animate the size and bounds of a lightbox when it initially
>>> appears"
>
> What's a lightbox? I'm fearing it means that awful jQuery plugin
> script. Please tell me I'm paranoid.

A lightbox is a common UI element at this point, where you take some
element and pop it up in a pseudo-window (really just an element with
distinctive styling).  You usually dim out the rest of the page around
the lightbox as well.