Re: Extend use of namespaces

----- Original Message -----
> > From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> > Behalf Of Paul Duffin
>

> > I don't dispute the initial motivation for adding it but it seems to
> > me
> > that the language used in the specification indicates that
> > considerable
> > thought went into making it suitable for use as a general mechanism
> > for
> > namespacing CSS identifiers in general.
>
> Considerable thought ? Because it lets you infer a usage pattern one
> of
> the original editors is explicitly disagreeing with ?

Because it clearly is intended to be more general than the original document and I am crediting the authors/reviewers and all those with making considered decisions to write the specification as they had over the 9 years since it was originally proposed.

As far as I can tell none of the authors of the *current specification* have commented on this. I don't know what input Peter had on that and am not criticizing him personally but I do know how ideas evolve and change so what he may have intended when he wrote it is not necessarily what the current authors intend.

I also know that it is very difficult (impossible?) to write technical specifications / documents that have no holes, gaps or ambiguities so it is possible that I am reading too much into it.

> > Personally, I find the namespaces specification well written and its
> > intent and purpose very clear.
>
> If it can interpreted to mean something its authors believe it did not
> intend
> then its purpose may not be so clear and thus its writing would be
> deficient
> in this respect.
>
> I strongly agree that is we did need to add namespaces *to* CSS it
> should use
> a different syntax than that used *by* CSS to referenced namespaces in
> documents.

Lets assume for arguments sake that we did need to add namespaces to CSS. What syntax would you use?