Re: [cssom] Directions for better OM expansions

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:16:38 -0700
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/17/10, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> Please do email these.
>>
>> All right, here they are, expressed in terms of user stories:
>
> A susprising number of these all come from "I'm writing a CSS editing tool".

I wrote one of those once. Parse a stylesheet, sort the rules by
specificity, add an event handler that checks the target to find the
most specific matching rule, get the State object of the CSSEditor
(editor.state) and call the corresponding method on that
(elementSelected() or something). If the editor is in disabled state,
of course nothing happens (and the editor had 3 states, AIRC).

> Is there a real scenario where page authors would use this?
[...]

>> 8. I'm a page author, and I want to see what the value of a property
>> is, regardless of what its source is.

Yes, I've brought this up before. That would be especially valuable
for style transitions, to make an element's length transition from
50em, to 100% over a course of 1 sec and fire events during playing
based where the animation is at.

Garrett