Re: Extend use of namespaces

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:29:27 +0200
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>, "Paul Duffin" <pduffin@volantis.com>
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:58:40 +0200, Paul Duffin <pduffin@volantis.com>
> CSS 3 selectors adds namespace support but at the moment that is only
> for elements but extending it to cover other 'identifiers', would have a
> number of benefits:
> * It could replace the convention that browser vendors have to use a
> vendor specific prefix starting with a '-'.

This seems like a drawback. The convention we have in place works
perfectly fine.

> * It would allow custom pseudo elements to be declared and used within
> XBL 2.0. At the moment it predefines a number of 'generic' pseudo
> elements http://www.w3.org/TR/xbl/#matching1 which is fine but it would
> be better if binding authors could define their own custom elements with
> names that are more specific to their binding.

This could be addressed by having something like an ::xbl(identifier)
pseudo-class. No need to make things more complex than that. (But lets
first wait for XBL to be implemented so we can play around with it and
figure out the real needs.)

Anne van Kesteren