Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face and !important

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Rune Lillesveen wrote:

> I was trying to figure out what to do about !important and
> properties of the @viewport rule. I checked how it's handled for
> @font-face descriptors.
>
> The grammar of the CSS2 spec says the descriptors are parsed as
> declarations, and hence allow !important. The prose says "If a font
> descriptor is duplicated, the last occurring descriptor wins and the
> rest must be ignored.", but nothing about !important.

In CSS, the grammar is always a superset of the prose.  The CSS2 spec
includes this wording:

  All font descriptions are specified via a @font-face at-rule. The general form is:

  @font-face { <font-description> }

  where the <font-description> has the form:

  descriptor: value;
  descriptor: value;
  [...]
  descriptor: value;

This *doesn't* allow !important (or !really-i-mean-it-i-swear).  The
same is true for the wording in the CSS3 Fonts spec.

Including !important is a syntax error so the descriptor definitions
in your example should be ignored.

John Daggett