Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:34:42 +0200
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
On Tuesday, September 14, 2010, 1:00:27 PM, Thomas wrote:

TP> I should clarify that I am not seeking a change in the default
TP> behavior, but if the existing behaviors are to persist, it would
TP> be a Very Good Thing if there were some mechanism to suppress or
TP> turn off all faux italics and faux bold.

I agree.

To date, with the reliance on whatever fonts were provided by the platform, extensive fallbacks were the norm (including faux bold, faux oblique pretending to be italic, and faux smallcaps).

As we move to a Web where the font choices made by the designer can be expected to be honoured, some nuancing of the fallback behaviour would be very welcome.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG