RE: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 22:02:35 +0000
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
> Actually, the spec is pretty clear I think:
> (1) local(xxx) references a *single* face with a *fullname*
>    of "xxx" [Section 4.3]
> (2) style descriptors are used for font matching *not* the underlying
>     style data in the font [Section 4.4]
>
> IE9 currently looks for a *family* name of "xxx", which is wrong, it
> should be looking for the *fullname*.  The fullname identifies a
> single face uniquely.

Yes, this makes sense. Full name matching should happen first and no artificial slanting should happen (I this test case).

One more clarification is needed, though, regarding use of artificial styles. In case where font-style descriptor is not specified, spec says "default values are assumed". What is default value? Is this equivalent to specified "font-style:normal"?

Consider following example:

@font-face {
  font-family: MyFont1;
  src: local(Arial);
}

@font-face {
  font-family: MyFont2;
  src: local(Arial);
  font-style:normal;
}

Will following two lines be rendered identically? They will both use regular Arial face. But will each of them be allowed to use generated oblique font?

Thanks,
Sergey