Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

Le Lun 13 septembre 2010 13:35, Anton Prowse a écrit :
> On 13/09/2010 05:20, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
>
>> 2- Shouldn't that margin box of that big triple-A-letters
>> left-floating-box be placed at top-left corner of its enclosing<div>
>> *in
>> the first line box*?
>
> Not necessarily; it depends on position of the float placeholder in the
> line box in which it sits.  (This position of course depends on the
> width of the containing block.)
>
> I'm not sure, but I think your post is questioning how it's decided next
> to which line box a float sits.  This is Issue 192,[1] and see [3,2] in
> particular.  I am currently challenging the resolution to that issue.[3]
>

>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
>>
>> 1- The bright green square is right after the 3rd word (in the source
>> code) in those 2 examples while the width of the paragraph is large,
>> wide
>> enough to still render the first 5 words of the paragraphs for the first
>> line box. I did that on purpose so that the text versus bright green box
>> would not be in a too tight horizontal space.
>>
>> Opera 10.62 under Windows XP displays the bright green square's margin
>> box
>> starting on the 2nd line box, not on the first line box, in the second
>> example. The 2 examples in that testcase should be rendered identically,
>> pixel per pixel, according to section 9.5.1.
>> Am I missing something here? Can you explain this?
>
> Op10.62/XP is wrong.  After flowing the first three words, there's still
> room for the float on the same line without requiring rewrapping those
> words into multiple line boxes, and so it is indeed placed on that line.
>   (If there weren't room, it would be placed on the next line.)

Anton,

This is *big* news for me. I was becoming crazy because of differences of
rendering between Opera 10.62 (build 3500) under Windows XP and Opera
10.62 (build 6438) under Linux. I have now 3 testcases (all involving -
horizontal or vertical - positioning of floats) where I see and get
clearly noticeable differences between Opera 10.62 (build 3500) under
Windows XP and Opera 10.62 (build 6438) under Linux and, in each of those
3 testcases, I strongly believe that Opera 10.62 (build 3500) under
Windows XP is wrong, buggy. (Both Opera 10.62 under XP and Linux are
supposed to be using the same rendering engine: Presto/2.6.30 !)

Can you try
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/float-005.html
with Opera 10.62 under Windows XP and then with Opera 10.62 under Linux ?
just curious..

> [1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-192
> [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0181.html
> [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0053.html
>
> Cheers,
> Anton Prowse
> http://dev.moonhenge.net

best regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite