Re: [css3-lists] Specifying new list-types

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 18:09:02 -0700
To: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I recall correctly, these seven types cover *every* list-style type
>> currently in the spec* except for ethiopian-numeric (listed in the
>> 'algorithmic' section, confusingly).
>
> The additive scheme won't cover Hebrew numbers above 1000, because the
> separator (geresh) is needed between the thousands group and the
> less-than-thousands group.

Nah, it works just fine.  You just need one additional ability in
additives that I haven't talked about yet, for glyphs that are only
added if the original number was large enough, and which don't affect
the value of the number (that is, they don't decrement the "current
value" in the algorithm).

You need this for Tamil, too.  It also helps with doing a more complex
variant of English written numbers.