Re: CIE color definitions in CSS3 color module

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:35:07 -0700
Cc: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, Alexis Shaw <alexis.shaw@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "alexis.shaw@gmail.com" <alexis.shaw@gmail.com>
There may be accessibility situations when color metric operations use xyz color space; having CSS accept xyz would numeric precision and abstract away expensive computing and delegate calibration. Currently, running  xyz to hsl in js takes extra cycles.

There were similar benefits when hsl was added.

Is there a downside to supporting xyz() in CSS colors?