Re: [css4-color] #RGBA

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:52:31 +1000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, Eduard Pascual <herenvardo@gmail.com>, Patrick Garies <w3c.www-style@patrick.garies.name>, "mollyh@opera.com" <mollyh@opera.com>, Christoph P├Ąper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I don't have the link (and didn't see it in the original mail), but I'm referring to the extension of adding the #rrggbbaa syntax (CSS4) *not* the extension of adding rgba (CSS3).
>>
>> If you add a "non-functional" syntax to RGB, and don't add it to HSL that suggests that HSL isn't worthy of spending the time to provide a tight non-functional syntax so that it has parity with RGB.
>>
>> So with the CSS4 change, RGB is now two steps ahead of HSL -- it has rgb(), rgba(), #rrggbb, and #rrggbbaa whereas HSL only has hsl() and hsla().

I wouldn't think so. With #RRGGBB you have 256 values per channel.
With rgb() you have 256 values per channel. With hsl() you have 256
values per channel.

> #rgba is nothing more than a completion of #rgb.  It's not a separate
> new feature.  It's just us maintaining feature parity between the
> syntaxes.
>
> As well, this isn't a race.  There are three color syntaxes.  The fact
> that two of them happen to refer to the same color-space is
> irrelevant.
[snip]
> ~TJ

HSL uses sRGB color-space.