Re: [css3-lists] Specifying new list-types

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:31:36 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> I think this is a good idea. I have a couple comments:
>
>  - I suggest renaming @list to @counter-style, since counter
>   styles are used elsewhere other than lists. But at least
>   change it to @list-style.

Sure.

>  - I agree with Charles that glyphs should allow multi-character
>   items. This is especially important for grapheme clusters
>   composed of multiple characters.

Nothing preventing that.  Several of the list-styles in the current
draft require it, after all.

>  - I'm not sure your 'glyphs' will tokenize well. We can handle
>   unquoted idents no problem, but digits are not idents. Also
>   any ASCII punctuation would have to be escaped, which could
>   be confusing as well. That said, quote marks around each
>   character would be annoying. I think Håkon avoided this
>   problem by quoting the whole thing.

It's not too important that digits be unquoted.  Most list-styles
don't use the ascii digits anyway; the non-english numerics use
characters that can tokenize as idents, right?

>  - I agree with Charles about having a 'prefix' parameter in
>   addition to 'suffix'; that seems useful. Not so sure about
>   the need for 'infix'.

Right, that's already in, I'd just forgotten to mention it.  I don't
have anything for 'infix' stuff, though I've contemplated something
similar to it for the additive type.  (I lost some of my notes and am
relying on an early version right now, but I think this may be
required for Hebrew.)