Re: [css3-images] Angle gradients and naming

Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> skreiv Wed, 08 Sep 2010 03:05:01
+0200

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 7, 2010, at 12:41 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> Except for using a comma instead of "to", that's what I'm looking at
>>> right now.  We just want to split the angle case out into a separate
>>> function, and need a name for it.  I think I'll just use
>>> angle-gradient() until someone gives me something better.
>>
>> I thought I had.
>>
>> You can't contrast radial-gradient with angle-gradient, because the
>> latter is actually a linear-gradient.  And having a third called
>> linear-gradient would be even more confusing.  Which is why I suggested
>> radial-gradient
>> linear-box-gradient
>> linear-angle-gradient
>>
>> wordy as they are.
>
> It's that wordiness that makes me not particularly like them.  ^_^
> Just typing out linear-gradient() is already painfully long to me.
> And demoting just the angle gradient to a second-class citizen with a
> three-word name isn't very appealing either.

How about just

radial-gradient
box-gradient
angle-gradient

? If the classification as linear gradients is important, IMHO it can be
expressed by putting them in a "Linear gradients" chapter in the spec.

--
Leif Arne Storset
Core Technology Developer, Opera Software