Re: Nested :first-letter

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 21:34:44 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/8/10 9:24 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> As far as I can tell, that's not quite true.  See above.

How is it not true?  Conceptually, in the "above" case, the descendant
block generates a first-letter, that first-letter is completely unstyled
(just like it would be with a rule like |::first-letter {}|), and you
get the observed behavior.

In general, an obvious invariant here should be that adding the rule

   :first-letter {}

should never change anything having to do with first letters, right?

> The effect
> is similar in some circumstances, though, but it can be distinguished
> if you take the spec example and remove the p::first-line rule - no
> pseudo gets generated at all.

Really?  How can you tell?  See above.

-Boris