Re: [css3-lists] Specifying new list-types

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 17:58:54 -0700
To: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 09/08/2010 05:25 PM, Belov, Charles wrote:

> While we're talking about this, what about legal numbering?
>
> 1
>      1.1
>      1.2
>      1.3
> 2
>      2.1
>      2.2
>          2.2.1
>          2.2.2
>
> (real-life example is Word Outline numbering)
>
> infix might be applicable here, except that here it is an infix
> between levels, not between characters in a composed string at
> the same level.  I don't really have a use for infix within the
> same list level; that was just trying to be flexible.

You'd use

::marker {
   content: counters(list-item, ".");
}

to override the default

::marker {
   content: counter(list-item);
}

Speaking of which, Tab, we need some way of indicating in the counter()
argument to use the correct numbering type associated with a particular
counter instance. And some way of associating a counter instance with
a numbering type. (I'd suggest using the list-style-type property somehow.
Not sure how.) Because outlining styles that aren't all decimal would
be hard to handle correctly otherwise.

1
   1.a
   1.b