RE: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

> From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-SVG11-20030114/types.html>:
>
>   CSS2 [CSS2] states that a property value which is a <number> is
>   specified in decimal notation (i.e., a <decimal-number>), which
>   consists of either an <integer>, or an optional sign character
>   followed by zero or more digits followed by a dot (.) followed
>   by one or more digits. Thus, for conformance with CSS2, any
>   property in SVG which accepts <number> values is specified in
>   decimal notation only.
>
> ("Property" as used here refers to both presentation attributes and
> declarations in text/css style sheets, as opposed to XML attributes
> that do not correspond to properties, like the "d" attributes.)

This is from a previous version of the spec though. Where is the
equivalent in the current draft ?

> In http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/types.html this has been changed,
> there it's just "A <number> value is specified in either decimal or
> scientific notation." with no distinction between XML attributes and
> properties.
>
> It also has "The format of a <length> is a <number> optionally followed
> by a unit identifier." so
>
>   <svg xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2000/svg'>
>     <rect width='100' height='100' stroke='red' stroke-width='1e2em'/>
>   </svg>
>
> which in fact works in recent versions of Opera and Firefox.

So it does.

> SVG Tiny 1.2 does not affect text/css documents in any way, so from
> what I can tell it's never been allowed (though some implementations
> have supported it) in text/css documents, and for "properties" this
> varies between revisions. (There is also a third dimension to this
> through SMIL but I've not kept up with possible changes in SMIL3). So
> the answer depends on what you consider "CSS".

I am trying to figure out whether SVG explicitly or implicitly allows the
e notation in stylesheets or in the style attribute. Thus far it seems
that's not the case, at the cost of obvious discontinuities for authors,
tools and UAs alike since attribute values support it.