Re: Suggestion > CSS > Pseudo element > Container

(+www-style@w3.org—top-posting for context)

> The header and the footer should fill the whole width of the page with a
> dark color, but their contents should be limited by a rectangular space
> with the same width of the body: http://a.imagehost.org/0716/img_6.png

There are several ways to achieve this without “hacking” or requiring
a new pseudo-element. The solutions depend on the (minimum) markup of
the document in question as well how you want to fill what.

For instance,

#header, #footer { background: black; text-align: center; }
#content { margin: auto; width 50%; }

could do the trick in some cases, variations thereof in others.

--
Jens O. Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/