Re: [CSS21] Do non-positive-width floated elements shorten line boxes?

From: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 10:31:31 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On 04/09/2010 05:04, fantasai wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 09:42 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
>> At a curious intersection point of two threads
>>
>> [1]: Empty floated element with a set width but height:0
>> [2]: Trivial editorial issues with 9.5 (Floats)
>>
>> we encounter the complementary question to GĂ©rard Talbot's zero-height
>> floats question. ...
>
> I believe this has been addressed as part of CSS2.1 Issue 185:
> http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-185
>
> Let me know if this addresses the issue.

I believe it does, since it defines "next to the float".  With that
change, the sentence
   # However, line boxes created next to the float are shortened to
   # make room for the margin box of the float.
is coherent, and there is no longer any ambiguity about zero- or
negative width floats; it's simply the position of the float's
content-facing side margin that's relevant to whether a line box gets
shortened.  (Gecko is wrong when it ignores the second float in the
first two test cases I originally posted.)

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net