Re: Proposal for CSS3.5

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:47:47 -0700
Cc: Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Matthew Ayres <solar.granulation@gmail.com>
On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:16 AM, Matthew Ayres <solar.granulation@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Inherit means something substantially different here.  You're not
>> trying to inherit (get a value from your parent), but rather reach
>> back and get a value from a less-specific rule that has been
>> overridden.
>>

> I'm not entirely sure that I agree,

I do. The point is that you are writing a later or more specific rule in order to override a different rule. The background of a parent element is rarely, if ever, going to be relevant to this need. If you wanted a keyword to represent what has been cascaded previously to those other slots, then perhaps "cascaded" would be appropriate. Although if you were using JavaScript to change the style, a better word might be "computed", to get the previously computed value for that spot.

> but this probably depends on how
> one interprets the use case.  I suppose you're right, in the general
> case.  How about if we used the often seen keyword 'auto'?

That would not work as well generally, because you might want this for a property that already takes "auto" as an acceptable value in the list.