Re: [css-style-attr] SVG WG comments on CSS Styling Attributes Level 1

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:53:17 +0200
To: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>, www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Also sprach Dean Jackson:

 > I think we should also remember that it is the CSS users that are
 > hurting here (or "humans" as Håkon called them).

You doubt they're humans? :-)

 > Not being able to roundtrip is extremely confusing to them, and
 > frustrating to work around. We should be trying to make their life
 > easier.

I don't understand the roundtrip issue. It seems to me that CSS can
hold all numbers you throw at it. By using the string-less CSS OM
interfaces that are proposed, most string conversions can be avoided.
And, even when you want to export to a textual style sheet you can use
the "toFixed" method which doesn't switch into e-notation for small
numbers (only for numbers larger than 10^21 which hardly seems like
an issue).

-h&kon