[CSS 2.1] Run-ins running into table and/or sub-table elements

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 17:48:12 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Hello,

A run-in is supposed to be converted into a block box or an inline box
depending on whether (or not) a non-floated, non-abs-positioned sibling
block box is following it.

Section 9.2.3 Run-in boxes
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#run-in

What happens when
- a run-in runs into a table element (display: table)?
- a run-in runs into a table-row-group element (display: table-row-group)
- a run-in runs into a table-header-group element (display:
table-header-group)
- a run-in runs into a table-footer-group element (display:
table-footer-group)
- a run-in runs into a table-row element (display: table-row)
- a run-in runs into a table-cell element (display: table-cell) Shouldn't
the run-in be converted into an inline box? .. and become the first inline
box of such table cell?
- a run-in runs into a table-caption element (display: table-caption)
Shouldn't the run-in be converted into an inline box? .. and become the
first inline box of such table-caption?

Several testcases submitted to the CSS 2.1 test suite
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/run-in-006.htm
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/run-in-013.htm
suggest that run-ins are converted into block boxes when running into
table (and sub-table) elements. But I see no statement in that sense.

I have searched the mailing list looking for answers.

regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite