Re: [css3] background-origin question

On Sep 1, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:57:56 +0200, Nicholas Morgan <nimorgan@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> When I saw "background-origin"
>>> (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-background-origin) I got really
>>> excited; however, the more I read the more I was disappointed.  I'm excited
>>> that I can pass it key words and translate the origin to specific areas
>>> inside the element.  But for me it was the same as having
>>> "background-position" but only allowing me to have top, right, bottom &
>>> left.
>>
>> Sounds like you are being misled by the term "origin" (its usage for this
>> property seems a bit weird, and doesn't really have anything to do with the
>> origin of a coordinate system). Note the values allowed, they don't involve
>> top/right/etc (or percentages) at all.
>
> Well, it is about the origin of the coordinate system (and the overall
> size of the system too); it's just not the more standard meaning of
> "take this point in the current coordinate system and make it the new
> zero point".
>
> Especially with the expanded background-position syntax in CSS3,
> background-origin is pretty useful, since it also redefines where the
> right and bottom edges are.
>
> But yeah, sounds like Nicholas is just somewhat confused about the
> purpose of background-origin.

I think the name is confusing. I'd expect the value for a property called
background-origin to be a point (e.g. "top left"). But here the value
is a <box>, just like box-sizing.

Maybe, for similarity with box-sizing, the property name should be
"background-positioning", or "background-origining" :)

Simon