Re: [css3] background-origin question

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 15:57:56 +0200, Nicholas Morgan <nimorgan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When I saw "background-origin"
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#the-background-origin) I got
> really excited; however, the more I read the more I was disappointed.
> I'm excited that I can pass it key words and translate the origin to
> specific areas inside the element.  But for me it was the same as having
> "background-position" but only allowing me to have top, right, bottom &
> left.

Sounds like you are being misled by the term "origin" (its usage for this
property seems a bit weird, and doesn't really have anything to do with
the origin of a coordinate system). Note the values allowed, they don't
involve top/right/etc (or percentages) at all.

> I have a link with simple text inside of it. The link is inline so its
> width will expand and contract with the amount of text.
>
> a {
>  display: inline;
>  padding-right: 40px;
> }
>
> Now I want to position a background image -10px of the top right corner
> of the element. There is currently no way, that I am aware of, to
> accomplish this task.

Sounds like you want something like

background-position: right -10px top;
background-origin: content-box;

or just (given the padding length above)

background-position: right 30px top;

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA