Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

On 08/19/10 18:22, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Not when you mix it.  Believe me.  If you have an Arabic sentence with a Latin
> word in the middle, normally you have an ordering of characters like this:
>
>  10 9 8 7 4 5 6 3 2 1
>  <------- ----> <----
>
> Where the '456' is the Latin word.  Now if you use a mirrored font for your
> Arabic only, you get the ordering of characters this way:
>
>  7 8 9 10 4 5 6 1 2 3
>  -------> ----> ---->
>
> Which is wrong.  It should be:
>
>  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>
> Because now your Arabic is read LTR, not RTL.

Same kind of thing happens in vertical writing.  And fantasai's paper [1]
suggests adjust bidi levels in those cases, and that's exactly what I've done
in pango.

See the two attachments.  1.png is regular sentence like the one above.  2.png
is with Arabic glyphs rotated 180 degrees such that Arabic runs LTR, and runs
adjusted.