Re: 'initial' | 'inherit' inconsistency

On 10/29/2010 09:26 AM, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
> At 8:27 AM -0700 10/29/10, Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>> It does seem to me that we should at least add "initial" to the
>> blanket statement, like this:
>>
>> # All properties defined in this specification also accept the
>> 'inherit' and 'initial' keywords (individually) as their value, but
>> for readability it has not been listed explicitly.
>
> A couple (maybe as many as a few) modules do say that. Others say pretty
> much that except only about 'inherit', making no mention of 'initial'.
> Others don't say anything at all about either.

The 'initial' keyword is introduced by the CSS3 Values and Units
specification. Unless a UA implements that module (which, I remind
you, is a WD only and not CR), it will not implement 'initial' for
any properties.

The 'inherit' keyword was introduced in CSS2.1, and thus any CSS3
drafts that do not include it are in error.

~fantasai