Re: [css3-text] text-transform: han-numerals

Microsoft Excel 2007 Japanese Edition supports NUMBERSTRING() function.

This built-in VBA function converts numerals to han ideographs.

Although NUMERSTRING() is undocumented and little known even to
Japanese users, the function really works.

Syntax:

ideographs = NUMBERSTRING(value, format)

Ex.

NUMBERSTRING(12345, 1) = “一万二千三百四十五”
NUMBERSTRING(12345, 2) = “壱萬弐阡参百四拾五”
NUMBERSTRING(12345, 3) = “一二三四五”

So, if you have a chance to use this most popular spreadsheet
application, why not try out.

For reference, here's Japanese documentation found on the Net:

http://www.ecken.co.jp/func/func_numberstring.htm

Hope my information will help.

Best wishes,
Thoton Akimoto
Japan

On Oct 29, 2010, at 3:16 PM, "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com> wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote on Friday, October 29, 2010 2:07 PM
>> How about a fourth option for general number formatting? For
>> instance (where "d" stands for "digit"):
>>
>> Number-format: "didid"; /* ideographic "place" separators and
>> no change to decimal market. Perhaps in Western scripts this
>> one is the same as adding commas or localized equiv.?  */
>>
> I'd suggest
> Number-format: d千d百d十d;

I'm no expert on writing in Kanji/Chinese. Would you need to also
indicate characters for ten thousand, million, billion, etc. too? Or
are is it unambiguous once you've gone this far (aside from the
different ways to write "3").