RE: [css3-text] text-transform: han-numerals

From: Belov, Charles <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:16:25 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>, "MURATA Makoto \(FAMILY Given\)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>, <www-international@w3.org>, "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Brad Kemper wrote on Friday, October 29, 2010 2:07 PM
> How about a fourth option for general number formatting? For
> instance (where "d" stands for "digit"):
>
> Number-format: "didid"; /* ideographic "place" separators and
> no change to decimal market. Perhaps in Western scripts this
> one is the same as adding commas or localized equiv.?  */

I'd suggest
Number-format: d千d百d十d;

(If you actually wanted a literal "d" in there you'd use "¥d" without the quotes.)

This way, the CSS author could use their preferred characters. How they would specify their preferred zero character is another matter entirely.

And just a pedantic note that I'd hate to have a misnomer like "ideographic" burned into the standards.  Only some Han characters are ideographic (although I admit I don't know whether the number and separator symbols in particular are).

Hope this helps,
Charles Belov
SFMTA Webmaster