RE: 'initial' | 'inherit' inconsistency

At 5:54 PM +0000 10/29/10, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>While 'inherit' is fairly well-known and understood for people familiar
>with CSS today, I also wonder how many authors even know about 'initial'.

    Indeed.  I don't even know if I'd claim to be familiar with it.  I
mean, http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-values/#keywords says they apply
everywhere but doesn't bother to define what they mean (and then
there's the red note about "maybe there should just be 'default'").
    The more recent Editor's Draft of that module does reference
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-cascade/, which defines them, and then when
I read http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-cascade/#initial0 I'm not convinced
that I've been told what it actually means.  I can make a reasonable
assumption, but I might be wrong.  (An example or two would help a
lot.)

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/