css block re-use proposal

From: Eric Twilegar <Eric.Twilegar@onpeak.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:20:20 +0000
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Many times in CSS I find myself copying and pasting the exact block of CSS statements from block to block.

It would be nice if in CSS you could reference one block of CSS inside of another block.

I would suggest that we could create a block with a name perhaps using the $ character to start it. Then refer to it in another block like an include so that the CSS lines are copied in.

$bottomLessBorderStyleGroup
{
      border-style:solid;

      border-top-width:1px;
      border-left-width:1px;
      border-right-width:1px;
      border-bottom-width:0px;
}

..someRealClassOnADiv
{
$bottomLessBorderStyleGroup
}

For now I'm implementing something similar by generating the CSS server side, but it would be nice to not have to go to a pre-processor.

et